Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I get new ears!

We think we have the answer to our hearing issue with Jonas! We went to Arkansas Children's Hospital today for a hearing screen and speech eval. The first part of his hearing screen was to find out how much fluid he has on his ears. He didn't mind his left ear being tested, but cried during the right ear and apparently the machine doesn't work when a child is crying. The audiologist was able to see that both ear-drums are retracted, which is caused from chronic fluid or ear infections (to my knowledge). The right ear is worse which makes sense why Jonas didn't want it touched.
The next part we all three (jason, jonas, and me) went into a sound booth where Jonas turned his head towards different sounds in the booth. There were light up toys that made noise and the audiologist also said his name on the left and right sides. The first set of names and noises were a tad bit louder than normal and Jonas reacted to all the sounds. The next set was at normal conversation level and he didn't look to his right side when she called his name. I was sitting behind Jonas and could hear the lady's voice just fine. She was calling his name over and over through the right speaker and he didn't turn his head. Tears streamed down my face realizing that he could not hear well in the R ear.
After that, the audiologist canceled our speech eval since Jonas apparently was not hearing well, and made us an appt with the ENT clinic for an ear eval. She got us in quickly and we met with a doctor. He said Jonas's ears actually looked decent as far as fluid goes, but could see where the ear-drum was "retracted and thick".... apparently signs of chronic fluid on ears. He wanted to get an X-ray to check his adenoids, so we went there next. Doc told us that Jonas's adenoids were "100% obstructed and HUGE". The next decision was choosing a surgery date to put in tubes and take out adenoids.
SO, the big day is August 9. He will be under general sedation and the procedure lasts 20-30 minutes. Our doc has been doing this for 27 years, so we are extremely confident with his work.
By the way, Jonas did great today with our 4hr doc visits, waiting in the waiting rooms, and playing with all the toys. He seemed to really enjoy the attention and playing with everything he got his hands on.
We look forward to Jonas hearing clearly and imitating sounds and words!!!!

10 comments:

The Walkers said...

YEA! OK, weird to say "Yea" that he will have to get tubes and have his adenoids removed, but yea to have some answers!!! And I have seen kids in less than 2 weeks started making consonants and words after getting their ears cleaned out and tubes in place. I can't wait to hear everything he has to say!

jpark said...

I can only imagine how you felt when you realized Jonas could not hear well in his right ear! But now what a relief to have a solution! :)

Dana said...

I had my adenoids out and tubes placed when I was 2. It was the best thing ever! I bet you will see a world of difference!!! Glad your mom got yu checked and that it is easily fixed!!!

Anonymous said...

This is Presley...Yahoo!! I am so glad to hear the results. I woke up this morning with it on my mind. I hate that you have to go through the procedure, but so thankful it can answer your questions!

Emerson said...

I am glad you guys found out what is going on!!

Anonymous said...

That will make all the difference, congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you guys found out the problem! That is great that it is "easily" fixed. Campbell had 5 sets of tubes and 1 permenant set and his adnoids out. It really was not bad at all. That being said, lee just told me not to sugar coat it for y'all because it was not all fun and games. No, but not near as bad as your mind can make it seem! He will do great and so will y'all! I am sure Presley has given you lots of info! Prayers are with you guys. I will put ot on my calendar.

Karen said...

I read your blog through the Boyd's then the Walker's. Our daughter is 2 1/2 and has had two sets up tubes and recently had her adenoids out. The first set worked just as they should be came out after 9 months. She is small for her age so the fluid began againing building up so we opted for a second set and the ENT recommended the adenoid removal. Her adenoids were a size 3 on a scale of 1-4. She has changed so much since the surgery...grown 2 inches and talks non stop. It will be like night and day. If you ever want to talk please email me karengartside@hotmail.com. I can answer a lot of questions and just ease your mind...it is really a great thing. -Karen

Charity said...

Charley and I are so glad you found out what's going on. We'll be thinking about you.

The Moss Clan said...

Aren't those sound booths funny. The last one we were in had 1950's clowns and stuff in them. I hope yours was more updated. Anyway glad to know the problem and that it is fixable!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!! Before long you will be saying BE QUIET!!! TOO MANY WORDS!