Monday, September 15, 2008

Sew much fun!!

So the SISTERS came to visit from Mississippi this past weekend! They know how to sew and I had seen these pillowcase dresses on Etsy and wanted to learn how to make them. I DO NOT sew at all and have never had a desire to do so until this past weekend. My Aunt Deb is my teacher, initiator, encourager, and instructor on getting started!!! We basically created our own pattern to making the dress and there are pics below of some things we created. We started off Friday night teaching me how to sew and to have an appreciation for sewing. Gotta love patience! Then Saturday morning we started making a "demo" dress and by that afternoon, I was all over that sewing machine. This wkend I sewed 6 dresses and 4-5 appliques on shirts. Oh yeah, Sunday morning I learned how to apply an applique and now I am addicted! I love to sew simple things..... love it so much that my parents decided to go ahead and get me my own machine. THANK YOU! And my cheerleaders were so encouraging this weekend..... thanks mom and Aunt Kathy!

Pumpkin shirt for the pumpkin patch. This is for Jonas. I actually ordered Reese a dress from Etsy that hasn't arrived yet. It's a pillowcase dress that looks like a pumpkin. Will post when it arrives.


Initial shirt for Reese. Brown thread around letter and has brown skirt/leggings combo to match.


My teacher asked that I put an up-close shot of my "threads" to see how I am doing!



Pillow-case dress..... Added different material to bottom. Not as cute slouched over my chair. Looks much better on and in person.


Matching initial shirt for Jonas. The stripes are from the bottom of the previous dress.


Pink/Brown dress


Actual pillowcase that I purchased at a thrift store for $3. Vintage and real soft! Not scared to throw this one in the wash. One of the first ones that I did.


Go EAGLES! We are planning on going to USM's Homecoming and I wanted Jonas to have a shirt to match Reese's dress. Haven't made her dress yet, but it will be black with white polka dots and yellow fabric USM applique (just like Jonas') on front of dress.

So there you go! My first sewing experience since Home Ec in 8th grade. I look forward to making more fun items for the kids to wear!
On the flip side.... if I haven't been sewing this weekend, I have been taking care of Reese. She has had a fever for a couple of days and has been very grouchy and clingy. I basically have held her all day today (Monday) while she has either cried or just whined. She perked up more tonight, so maybe the worst is behind us. I could not have sewed this much this past weekend without the help of my family. Thank you for your helping hands!!!! As always, it was great to see the sisters. We love you and look forward to seeing you in October!!

5 comments:

Paula said...

Casey, that is soo inspiring! I've been wanting to try some things like that and now you've given me the motivation to go for it! I've sewn home projects and Bible costumes but haven't yet tackled kids clothes. Your stuff looks great!

Penny said...

Girl, I am so impressed

Anonymous said...

SUPER CUTE!!! I want them all!! The pink and brown is just precious and the usm one is too cute! Make me some and send me a bill!! Love you!!

Shurden Family said...

How fun! I took a sewing class in the summer and loved it! I want to do both the pillowcase dress and initials also but don't seem to have time.....yours are so precious!

The Parkers said...

so jealous! i cant sew a straight line! all your creations are too cute!