Thursday, March 22, 2007

Girl Talk...about the birth.

I must say this time around, I have much better time management and am able to get lots more accomplished in between feeds. With Jonas, it was weeks before I learned to multi-task. I have already showered 3 times since birth and am actually brushing my teeth twice, sometimes 3 x's, a day. If you don't know, it took a while (won't say how long :) for me to learn to shower on a daily basis and just get myself dressed. I was horrible with my time and could only focus on Jonas.
My birth was awesome too! Let me say first for you Little Rock folks that know my delivery nurse, Jaime Robertson, ..... she ROCKS!!!! I love you girl and you were awesome for me. I am soooooo thankful I had you and that I was your main patient on Tuesday.
SO, Jason and I arrive at the hospital at 7a with hot, fresh Krispy Kreme donuts ready to go! Jaime starts my pitocin pretty quickly and I was at 1cm, 50% effaced. That went great and I was able to wait until noon before getting my epidural, which made me very proud. Jaime provided me a birthing ball that I sat on that really helped me with my contractions. Dr. Hubach came in at 9 or so and broke my water. Epidural at noon, and then Dr.Hubach came to check me at 1p. I was 7cm and 100% effaced by then and knew the birth would be here before I realized it. I started getting these deep pressures (and I was VERY dramatic about it).... but it was killing me. It wasn't contractions, it was PRESSURE like no other. So anesthesia came back in and did their thing to make me even more numb. By this time, it's around 1:30 and I start to push. The pressure was Reese in my canal ready to meet us. I was encouraged this go round to get the birthing mirror and I am sooooo glad I did. I was terrified of it at first, but it was worth it!! I gave Jaime a few pushes while my doctor got her gear ready, and when Dr. Hubach sat down in front of me, I gave 2 pushes and Reese arrived! The umbilical cord was in front of her privates and no one could see what it was. I was able to see right past the cord and was the first one to see HER! I yelled out, "it's a girl" !!!! We were ecstatic and of course my mom & I cried. Jason put his hands over his face in shock. Then when Jason cut the umbilical cord, blood splattered on everyone's faces and it was quite messy. Jaime got a face full :) .....
With Jonas I was so ready to attempt breast-feeding, but with Reese I was more calm. We didn't even try until she was 2-3 hrs old and she latched on immediately and ate for 30 minutes. I couldn't believe it! After Jonas was taken to the NICU, I really didn't attempt breast-feeding until he was 7 days old. SO this was a new experience for me and I couldn't believe how easy Reese attached. She has had no problems thus far with feeding, and eats like a horse. She did vomit one time once we got home and I got a little scared, but she has not done it since. Reese was able to stay with Jason and me the entire time (remember Jonas was in NICU) so all this was brand new even though it was our second baby.
Here we are at home and I will have to write more later on Jonas's reaction. He has been super whiny, so we have been babying him too :)
Love,
Casey

3 comments:

The Walkers said...

She is beautiful!!!! I am loving all the pictures. So glad that your birthing experience and getting home has been going so great for you all.

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I am in AWE!!! Great birth too! I love it!
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE PINK BOW!!! SURELY no one asked if she was a boy or a girl. I'm soooooo glad you wrote your story. I've been DYING to know what happened. PRAISE GOD for everything being so perfect. I remember when we had Titus and Jonas next door to each other, and us crying and praying together with Mark Bridges and Jerry Byrum. That was so special, but I want you to know I'm thanking Father God right now for His little blessing Reese that He's entrusted to Jason, Jonas, adn you. :) Love you so much.